Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,

But still miraculously my own.


Never forget for a single minute,

You didn't grow under my heart--but in it.








--Fleur Conkling Heylinger






















I didn't give you the gift of life,

But in my heart I know

The love I feel is deep and real

As if it had been so.

For us to have each other

Is like a dream come true!

No, I didn't give you the gift of life,

Life gave me the gift of you.





--Unknown











Saturday, March 12, 2011

Home, Sweet Home

Well, after 48 hours of endless planes, trains, and automobiles we have finally made it home.  We left Guangzhou on Thursday and took a train to Hong Kong.  We basically checked into a hotel connected to the airport to sleep then wake up very early to check into the airport for our long flight to Detroit on Friday.  Due to the time difference, we left Hong Kong on 03-11-11 at 11:00 am and arrived in Detroit on 03-11-11 at 12:30 pm.  The flight was 14+ hours.  Kinley did amazing on the flight.  She slept some and played quietly for the rest of the time. 

Shortly before we landed we heard the news of the devastating earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan.  Our flight route was over Japan, and we are stunned to realize that we would have been flying over Japan about the time of the earthquake.  We are very lucky to have not had a stop in Tokyo on the way home, because we did have a few hour layover there on our way to Beijing.  Our prayers go out to those affected by this trajedy. 

Amazingly we narrowly missed another earthquake on our travels.  On the 10th there was a 5.8 earthquake in Yingjiang City, Yunnan Province, China.  This is the same Province that we stayed in, although not the same city.  (A Province is equivalent to our States--Kinley is from Kunming City, Yunnan Province).  Apparently there are 25 dead and over 250 people injured, and many more with damages to there homes. 

Upon our arrival to Detroit we were suprised with a warm welcome home from several of our family members, and we were driven home in style in an Excursion Limo!  What a surprise that was!  It was awesome being able to see everyone and interact with them and Kinley during the drive home.  After all of the traveling we did, it made the 1 1/2 hour drive home seem like 10  minutes.  My family never ceases to amaze me!  It definitely was not expected--and not necessary, but thank you so much!!!!!!!

Once home we were greeted by more family and spent the night watching Kinley get to know everyone.  She is adjusting wonderfully and I know she will continue to bond with everyone more as time progresses.  We had a great first night home, although today we are exhausted with jet lag and the task of doing 16 days worth of laundry and unpacking and organizing everything else.  Regardless we are glad to be home and we look forward to a nice first weekend home with family and friends.

Love you all!  Thank you for all of your love and support throughout this entire process!  For those of you who have been following the blog, thank you.  It's been a nice way for me to document the process and express my thoughts along the way.  I plan on continuing the blog as my own personal project because I really enjoy doing it.  I'm sure that the posts will not be as frequent with real life getting in the way though :)

Today I've included some pictures of our last day in Guangzhou and our first day home.  Hope you enjoy them :)  I also wanted to take this opportunity to point out that we are all inspired to "do good", whether the inspiration comes from your parents, your church, or perhaps your own instincts--or for most of us, a combination of all three.  I hope that sharing our journey has educated some of you on the plight of the orphans, and perhaps inspired you to help in some way.  Live life everyday with an open heart so you can hear God speak...

The man whispered, "God, speak to me" and a Chickadee sang.



But, the man did not hear.


So the man yelled "God, speak to me!" And, the thunder rolled across the sky.


But, the man did not listen.


The man looked around and said, "God let me see you." And a star shined brightly.


But the man did not notice.


And, the man shouted, "God show me a miracle!" And, a life was born.


But, the man did not know.


So, the man cried out in despair, "Touch me God, and let me know you are here!"


Whereupon, God reached down and touched the man.


But, the man brushed the butterfly away and walked on.


Don't miss out on a blessing because it isn't packaged the way that you expect.


xoxo
Heather

2 comments:

  1. Heather,
    Welcome home! Kinley is just beautiful! I enjoyed following your journey. We are also with Holt and getting ready to travel on 4/6. Our DD Lauren will be 11 months when we get her and also just about 18 pounds. I am wondering what size clothing did you take and what was Kinley able to wear? I couldn't find a way to email you... Sorry. I know you are just home and getting settled. Thanks for your hlep. You can email me at pahlsm at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather -
    I found your blog. This is really random but I was hoping to find some headbands like the flower ones you have for Kinley, and so when I was searching for the headbands you came to mind and I tried searching you =) Where did you get yours??
    I am soooooooo GLAD your flight home went well, and I am sure the adjustment home is going great as Kinley is such a sweetie!
    It was an honor meeting you in China!
    Blessings
    Maria (Jase's mommy)

    ReplyDelete