Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,

But still miraculously my own.


Never forget for a single minute,

You didn't grow under my heart--but in it.








--Fleur Conkling Heylinger






















I didn't give you the gift of life,

But in my heart I know

The love I feel is deep and real

As if it had been so.

For us to have each other

Is like a dream come true!

No, I didn't give you the gift of life,

Life gave me the gift of you.





--Unknown











Friday, March 4, 2011

Last Day in Kinley's Birthplace

Yesterday was our last full day in Kunming. Jason asked me if I felt guilty for taking Kinley away from her birthplace. I thought about it for a minute, then said no. I don't feel guilty. I feel that Kunming was just where God placed Kinley to wait for us, for whatever reason. Kunming may be her birthplace, but it is not her home. We made sure to get a picture with Jayce and his Mom Maria---Maria adopted Jayce the same day we did, and Jayce and Kinley are from the same orphanage.


We made the most of exploring the park once again. It is really amazing. We took lots and lots of pictures, so that when Kinley gets older she'll be able to see her history as much a possible. We even got a picture with a lady who was representing one of the many ethnic groups located in Yunnan province. Of course we were also fighting off the curious Chinese who surround us, follow us, take our pictures, etc. They are not shy about pointing and staring. We've been told---they're not being rude....they're being Chinese! Kinley let me put her to sleep last night (after 1 1/2 of trying). She's still having some trouble adjusting to how we do bedtime as opposed to the orphanage. After last night I recognize that she does not want to go to sleep--I think she's afraid we won't be there when we wake up. She's just so sweet, it breaks my heart all that she's been through. So rocking and swaying she'd have her eyes closed and breathing heavy, then sit up in my arms and look at me smiling and waving hi. Then she would scan the room for Jason and do the same. She did this nearly 10 times (which is why the 1 1/2 hour ordeal).

Today was a travel day. Kinley went on her first plane ride and now we are in Guangzhou, the last major leg in our travels. We will stay here until Thursday, then we take a train to Hong Kong where we spend one night before flying home in the morning Today's flight was an adventure....two minutes after getting ready to head to the runway for take off I discovered Kinley needed a diaper change. To spare everyone the details, let's just say we had to do a complete outfit change in a tiny airplane bathroom. Then on the way to the hotel we had a second explosion which required a prompt bath (for both of us) once in the hotel room! While I was tending to that, Jason was happy because in searching for a late night supper he found a Papa John's pizza.

While waiting at the airport before we boarded the plane I had Kinley out of her carrier to let her stretch. I rarely have her out of the carrier in public because Chinese people LOVE babies....and they have no boundries! They will walk right up to you and stare, listen to your conversation. They will even touch, kiss, and pick your baby up! And not to be biased or anything, but Kinley is adorable and is admired by everyone . So we're sitting there with another family from Kentucky who adopted an 18 month of girl when we have a "pack" of middle aged Chinese women surround us. They're talking to Kinley trying to make her smile. Several minutes go by and they are still standing there cooing at her. Finally the pack leader (hehe) comes up to Kinley and takes her out of my arms. Now I did not protest....what could I do with the pack surrounding me?!? So I try to play it cool. BUT Kinley had no intentions of playing it cool and screamed so loud. I mean she screetched and screamed bloody murder! She was immediately given back to me where she buried her head in my neck and said "mama" through tears. Yes Kinley.....I'm your mama :)


For finding your mother,

There's one certain test.

You must look for the creature

Who loves you the best.

--- David Kirk (Little Miss Spider)


Tomorrow is a day full of paperwork for the U.S. Embassy. Hopefully we will get to explore some of Shaiman Island if we have any free time.

I feel so blessed that Kinley is attaching to me and Jason so quickly, and she goes to either of us freely. If I am holding her, she will look for Jason. If Jason is holding her, she looks for me. There is no better feeling that being a mother. I am so in love with this little girl.

Thank you all for your comments and support! I see and read every single one of them! I wish I could respond, however I cannot access the blog in China so Kaleigh continues to post what I send to her via email.

Love,

Heather








1 comment:

  1. Last night Anna and I again investigated the blog. This time with much more detail.We inspected the pictures upclose and she had many questions.I love talking to her and the family about your awesome journey.We have decided that Kinley does look alot like her mama:)Anna did not think a whole lot of people picking up your baby and kissing her "gross".Anna also noticed the trees that were white on the bottom and was intriqued over the part about the birds.(But not near as much as Kinley)!I will be praying your trip with Kinley continues to go well.Although I have no doubt that it will.I really enjoy reading your quotes they are perfect!
    Love Tammy

    ReplyDelete