Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,

But still miraculously my own.


Never forget for a single minute,

You didn't grow under my heart--but in it.








--Fleur Conkling Heylinger






















I didn't give you the gift of life,

But in my heart I know

The love I feel is deep and real

As if it had been so.

For us to have each other

Is like a dream come true!

No, I didn't give you the gift of life,

Life gave me the gift of you.





--Unknown











Saturday, March 5, 2011

First Day in Guangzhou--Medical Exam

Today was our first day in Guangzhou. It is great to be here! Can't believe we have less than one week before we get home with Kinley! Guangzhou is where the U.S. Consolate is located, so all adoptive families from the U.S. end up here. It is so nice to be surrounded by so many in the same boat as we are. It is absolutely beautiful here; it is victorian style with lots of flowers, wheeping willows, and bronze statues. We are on Shaiman Island along the Pearl River, so it is much more peaceful than in the previous cities.


We started out the morning heading to meet other Holt families--there are four of us here total from this adoption agency. We had a brief meeting regarding paperwork then went to have the children's pictures taken for their U.S. visas since they are not U.S. citizens until we land in Detroit. Kinley is so photogenic that she even looks cute in her Visa picture! After we were all finished we headed over to the clinic for the required medical exam, which Kinley did not like one bit! Most of the exam is pretty simple....squeek a toy to check hearing, look in the ears, height, weight, etc. Next we were in line to see the doctor who would listen to her lungs and heart. This is what I really wanted to know--how is Kinley's heart doing? When it finally became our turn we hurried into the room and tried to keep Kinley from crying during the exam which was totally impossible. The doctor listened to her heart for a long time.......then he told us to wait and left the room. After a couple of minutes he came back and told us to follow him. Now at this point I'm getting a little worried, because no one else had to go anywhere. We followed him into a back room and sat down. I gave Kinley a bottle and while I was doing so another doctor came over and listened to Kinleys heart for what seemed like several tense minutes (but I'm sure it was more like 30-45 seconds, and Kinley was actually quiet because she was drinking her bottle). He took the stethoscope off and spoke to the first doctor. Then he looked at us and said "no hear murmur". Amazing news! We will still need to have her heart checked when we get home, however the fact that the murmur is not audible is a great sign that her heart may have repaired itself!

After that we explored the island a bit, did some shopping, and took some pictures. Kinley was a little cranky occasionally because her teeth are really hurting her. Most of the time she's an absolute ham, waving at people as we pass on the sidewalk and smiling. She is so funny! Then this afternoon we had to complete some more paperwork for the adoption. For supper we went to Lucy's Diner, an American food restaurant, with many other adoptive families. I enjoyed the iced tea, however the food was pretty bad so we won't be going back there anytime soon.

Tomorrow we are touring a Jade and Pearl Market with another Holt family and we're hoping to score a great deal!

Tammy & Anna---Jason and I were curious about the white on the bottom of many of the trees also. When we were in Kunming we asked our guide about it and she said she thought it was to prevent bugs. I don't remember seeing any white tree trunks here in Guangzhou, but tomorrow I will keep my eyes open :)


Natural Child: Any child who is not artificial.

Real Parent: Any parent who is not imaginary.

Your Own Child: Any child who is not someone else's child.

Adopted Child: A natural child, with a real parent, who is all my own.

--- Rita Laws, PhD



xoxo

Heather








5 comments:

  1. Heather
    Fantastic news! I could say I always believed her heart would be OK,but thats easier said when its someone else.God did bless all of us as we read your writings.You have such a talent it feels like we are right there with you.Its like everything was mapped out way before...we just had to wait.
    It must be a relief being around families that are Americans and also adopting.I imagine being in a different country away from family and freinds is very difficult during such an important event.Well at least for us.I am sure we will all make up for it when you return:)
    Jason,
    Do not want to leave you out:)I know guys do not like the mushy stuff but your getting it anyway lol. Kinley always looks so content with you!Knew you would be a great dad.Kinley must know to.Little girls are usually scared of strange men the fact that she is bonding to you is another gift from above.Not to mention your a good guy. I would suspect that Kinley did not have much contact with men at the orphanage. So she knows...her daddy!Thanks for taking all the pictures.
    Love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a few days ago I was teasing Kelvin about how we could not adopt over in China...He is to old!It saddened me after I thought about it. How many families would consider adoption but were to old.Then tonight I noticed a change in the Holt waiting list.The age requirements was different- 54. So,Kelvin watch out theres no stopping us now:) They also had 3 pages of childrens photos instead of the 1.Grouped by ages of 0-4,5-11,and 11+.So, hopefully many more of these little cuties can find homes.
    Its amazing how one adoption,one girl,one week can change so many lives.
    Happy One Week Anniversary!!!!!!!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is just gorgeous I can't stop looking at that smiling happy face! Glad to hear that things are going so well. You all 3 look wonderful and I love to read the blog. Can't wait to make Kinley's cake! :) Soon you will be home and you will feel fully complete although you probably already do since you have that precious baby girl in your arms! Again Congrats and safe travels on your return!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh cool I figured out how to post again! Listen I am praying and will have some friends pray as well too that your trip with her will be smooth and she will be well to travel. When you get home.. and have a minute (easier said than done) check out what I wrote to you on facebook, as I have been praying I just felt impressed of the Holy Spirit something. It just blesses my heart so much to see how much thought you are putting into things.. pearls for her wedding day! Oh my goodness! You are truly truly given a gift, pressed down, shaken over beyond anyone's wildest dreams... but you know.. that is so like our God.
    Sending you all three hugs!
    Jen F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when do you come home?! Soon I hope. I hope she lets me give her a hug. I am so excited for you!
    You will be blessed financially, pressed down and shaken over! You will! I believe that. God is will take care of this. Freely you have given, so freely you will recieve. Dan and I were shopping the other day.. he wants to go to Toledo to look for something for her. I thought that was so sweet! Love all praying for your safe return! Shopping in China... sounds like shopping Israel. Many hugs! Jen F.

    ReplyDelete